Charborough Park, Wareham, Dorset, England
Record Id: 761
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Charborough Park has about 4 hectares of formal gardens within an 18th century deer park. The park was landscaped in the early-19th century and enlarged in the mid-19th century, and occupies about 364 hectares.
The site is occasionally open to the public. Please visit their website (on this site under 'Description').
Brief history of site
Charborough was a royal manor in 1086. The core of the present house was built in the 1650s. The formal gardens were laid out in the 1680s. A new wing was constructed for the visit of Frederick, Prince of Wales in 1741. The house was re-modelled in around 1810, and it is likely that new formal gardens were also laid out at around this time. The park was extended in the early-19th century.
Address: The Estate Office, Charborough Park, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 7EN
Locality: Wareham, Dorset
Dorset; Purbeck; Morden
Historical County: Dorset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||195||Grid Ref:||SY926978|
Opening contact details:
Access is limited, please check their website before visiting for details.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1680
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 364