Chantry Park, Ipswich, England
Record Id: 758
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Chantry Park features gardens designed in the mid-19th century by W. A. Nesfield on the site of a earlier park associated with a country house.
Brief history of site
The Ipswich Chantry was founded in 1509 by Edmund Daundy. The foundation of the present house is believed to date from 1700. From 1795 onwards Charles Collinson enlarged the estate to 208 hectares and it is he who was responsible for developing the character of much of the registered park which survives today.
Address: London Road, Ipswich, IP2 0BS
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||169||Grid Ref:||TM137438|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1509 to 1700
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 50