Stapleton, Pontefract, England
Record Id: 7579
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Research on this landscape is underway and will be added as soon as it is available.
Brief history of site
Edward Lascelles, cousin of Edward Lascelles of Harewood, owned the house from 1762 to 1789 and enlarged the park, designer unknown. From 1782 it was let to Lord Stourton who called in Capability Brown in 1783. Brown provided a plan but no archives have been found to confirm how much was implemented.
The estate was dispersed in the 1920s and the house was demolished. The parkland has mainly been ploughed for arable but shelter belts and the remains of the lake can still be seen.
Address: Stapleton, Darrington, Pontefract, WF8 3DD
North Yorkshire; Selby; Stapleton
Historical County: Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||111||Grid Ref:||SE505194|
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains