Navestock, Romford, England
Record Id: 7564
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
More than a century after its abandonment, many of the features of the park and pleasure grounds can still be identified. The area of the pleasure grounds, its sunken fence and walled vegetable garden remains unaltered, though now very overgrown in parts. The park is under arable cultivation but the majority of the peripheral woodland has survived.
Brief history of site
A new house was constructed at Navestock in the early-18th century, a 'mansion house' being noted in 1717. The mansion was a nine bay brick building, two storeys high above a half basement, with a three bay single storey extension at each end with a balustraded parapet. A park had been formed around the new house by 1726. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to improve the landscape shortly after the death of the second earl in 1763. The adjacent manor of Bois Hall was acquired to allow the enlargement of the park. Further changes included the construction of the lake, a highway diversion, the removal of the avenue and the reorganisation of the pleasure ground.
Address: Navestock, Chipping Ongar, RM4 1HA
Essex; Brentwood; Navestock
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ540987|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Agriculture and subsistence
Context or principal building: agriculture and subsistence
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains