Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.

Loading...

Brief description of site

Hatfield Forest is a rare example of a surviving medieval Royal hunting Forest, characterized by coppices, woodland pasture and rides. In addition to the natural features, the central area contains landscape features mostly dating from the 18th century: an artificial lake, exotic, non-native specimen trees such as planes, yews, horse chestnuts and cedars of Lebanon, and a Shell House or Grotto on the lakeside. Capability Brown was responsible for a slightly later modification to the lake.

Brief history of site

Hatfield was declared a Royal Forest by Henry I in about 1100 and fallow deer were introduced from Sicily. The last Royal hunting rights were surrendered in 1446. The Forest then passed through a succession of owners, before being acquired by the Houblon family in 1729. By 1746, a lake of about 3.24 hectares had been created in the marshy central area of the Forest. A Shell House was built beside it. In 1757, Lancelot Capability Brown proposed a scheme for improvements, although only part of the plan was implemented. The National Trust acquired the Forest in 1924, as a result of a bequest made by the noted conservationist, Edward North Buxton.

Location information:

Address: Takeley, Bishop's Stortford, Essex, CM22 6NE

Locality: Bishop's Stortford

Local Authorities:

Essex; Uttlesford; Hatfield Broad

Historical County: Essex

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 167 Grid Ref: TL537203
Latitude: 51.8601 Longitude: 0.230588

Visitor facilities

Key information:

Form of site: landscape park

Purpose of site: Ornamental

Context or principal building: recreational

Site first created: After 1100

Main period of development: Mid 18th century

Survival: Extant

Site Size (Hectares): 400

Print preview