Hallingbury Park, (also known as Hallingbury Place), Bishops Stortford, England
Record Id: 7552
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Hallingbury Park now comprises mainly large fields used for agricultural purposes, a lake and some wooded areas.
In addition, there are residential buildings around the site of the former residence, Hallingbury Place, park lodges and access roads.
Brief history of site
Hallingbury Place was the site of a Tudor mansion owned by the Parker family. The estate was sold to the Houblon family in 1729. Lady Alice Archer Houblon, in her account of the family history published in 1907, mentions that Capability Brown was engaged by Jacob Houblon in the late 1750s for work at Hallingbury Place. This chronology is however disputed by other sources and it seems more likely that whilst Capability Brown did work for the Houblon family at this time, the work was at Hatfield Forest. By 1773, the house had been re-modelled in Palladian style. Capability Brown was again engaged by the family about this time.
Address: Great Hallingbury, Bishops Stortford, CM22 7UQ
Locality: Bishops Stortford
Essex; Uttlesford; Great Hallingbury
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL516188|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Agriculture and subsistence
Context or principal building: agriculture and subsistence
Site first created: After 1750
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 200