Chalfont Park, Chalfont St Peter, England
Record Id: 753
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The park originally belonged to a late-18th-century house owned by Charles Churchill. The grounds were developed by Humphry Repton and Samuel Lapidge. A golf course and cricket grounds have taken over the formal park design at Chalfont.
Brief history of site
The formal park design at Chalfont was created by Capability Brown in 1760. A lake was formed in 1794 together with the construction of a boathouse and icehouse. Chalfont Park underwent changes again in 1836 when a cricket pitch was introduced.
Locality: Chalfont St Peter
Buckinghamshire; Chiltern; Chalfont St.
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ008894|
On the south side of Chalfont St Peter, east of the A413
Opening contact details:
There is now a golf course and cricket ground on the site.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: golf course
Site first created: After 1760
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 60