Digswell Park, Welwyn Garden City, England
Record Id: 7489
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Digswell Park (around Digswell House) lies mainly in a valley running west to east on the south of the house towards Digswell Lake from which it is separated by a main road. It is now used as urban open space. Digswell Place is now connected to the Park by historic Monks Walk and is adjacent to Sherrardspark Wood which has rides and walks (see the historic plan). Both houses have been adapted to multiple occupation and the park around Digswell Place is now small paddocks.
Brief history of site
Capability Brown was paid for work here in 1771-73, in laying out a park around Digswell House. Following purchase of the estate by the Cowpers, a Reptonian landscape was developed, with Nathaniel Kent being employed from 1812 and visits from Repton. In 1919 the land was sold to Ebenezer Howard for Welwyn Garden City with some land being developed and Sherrardspark Wood and Digswell valley being retained as public open spaces. It has been suggested that Gertrude Jekyll was involved with Didswell [sic] Place in 1920.
Address: Digswell Park, AL8 7RE
Locality: Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire; Welwyn Hatfield; Welwyn
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||182||Grid Ref:||TL238147|
Sherrardspark Wood car park off Rectory Road, east of B197 near Ayot Green. Digswell Park accessible from A1000, Bessemer Road in Welwyn Garden City.
Opening contact details:
Sherrardspark Wood, Digswell Park urban open land.
Parking at Sherrardspark Wood.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1771 to 1812
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 82