Cawdor Castle, Nairn, Scotland
Record Id: 739
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The designed landscape at Cawdor Castle dates from the early-17th century and has been continuously developed since then by the Cawdor family. It comprises 18th- and 19th-century parkland, large tracts of woodland and formal gardens. Cawdor Woods include areas of lichen-rich native oak woodland as well as 18th- and 19th-century replanting, including some exotic species nearer the castle. The formal walled Flower Garden has a few features from the time of its creation in the early-18th century but the current layout dates largely from the mid-19th century. The 17th-century walled garden, or kitchen garden, was redesigned in the late-20th century.
Brief history of site
Cawdor Castle has been owned by the Cawdor family for over 600 years. The Walled Garden was laid out in the early-17th century as a fully productive kitchen garden. The Flower Garden was developed from about 1710, remodelled in the mid-19th century and further developed in the 20th century.
The policies and woodland were laid out in the mid-18th century and altered and replanted during the 19th century. Further developments in the 20th century include a wild garden and a holly maze.
Address: Cawdor Castle, Nairn, Scotland, IV12 5RD
Historical County: Nairnshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||27||Grid Ref:||NH848499|
Opening contact details:
The site is open from April to October, daily from 10am to 5.30pm.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Site first created: After 1620
Main period of development: Early 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 400.2