South Essex Crematorium and Memorial Gardens, (also known as Corbets Tey Crematorium and Upminster Crematorium), London, England
Record Id: 7274
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Enclosed by red brick walls, the grounds and memorial gardens were from the first laid out formally, subdivided into separate areas with well-kept grass, beds, flowering trees and variegated shrubs. The main red brick crematorium buildings incorporated on the east side a circular Chapel of Meditation with a conical roof, the complex surrounded by Tuscan colonnaded verandas. From the main entrance, a drive led to the buildings, with a large oval pond now an ornamental lily pond.
Brief history of site
South Essex Crematorium was opened in 1957 by Hornchurch UDC laid out on open land to the west of Upminster Cemetery .
Address: Ockendon Road, Corbets Tey, Upminster, RM14 2UY
Greater London; Havering
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ566851|
Rail/Tube: Upminster (District) then bus. Bus: 370
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily 9am - 4pm (November - March); 9am - 7pm (April - October)
Form of site: memorial garden
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: funerary site
Site first created: 1957
Main period of development: Mid 20th century