War Memorial Park, Coventry, England
Record Id: 7140
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
This is a war memorial park, laid out by Coventry City Council between 1921 and 1935, which commemorates Coventry's soldiers and civilians who lost their lives in both World Wars. Features include a number of avenues of memorial trees, a rock garden and a German Peace Garden dating from 1963.
Brief history of site
In 1919 Coventry City Council invited members of the local community to form a War Memorial Committee to consider ways of creating a fitting memorial by which to commemorate the city's soldiers who had fallen in the First World War. It was decided that this should take the form of a park, and land was purchased in 1919. However, due to limited funds, the creation of the park would ultimately take over ten years. At the formal opening on 9 July 1921, with a dedication and memorial service, only the preparation of the ground had been completed in the ornamental section, though the sports pitches were available for use.
Address: War Memorial Park, Kenilworth Road, Coventry, CV3 6PT
West Midlands; Coventry
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP324772|
Opening contact details:
The park is open 24 hours a day, every day.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1919 to 1935
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 48.5