Little Grove, London, England
Record Id: 7129
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Traces of a C17th/C18th walled kitchen garden remain in private gardens on Cat Hill, once part of the gardens of Little Grove estate. Owned from 1674-8 by the widow of the Stuart diplomat and gardener Sir Richard Fanshawe, the estate was acquired by John Cotton in 1719 who built a house to the south of Cat Hill. In 1767 the then owner Judge Edward Willes commissioned Capability Brown to lay out the park. In 1932 the house was demolished and a housing estate constructed along Cat Hill and across the park.
Address: Cat Hill, East Barnet , EN4
Greater London; Barnet
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||Grid Ref:||TQ270950|
Form of site: kitchen garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: housing estate
Plant type/environment: walled garden
Main period of development: 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains