Pump Room Gardens, Leamington Spa, England
Record Id: 7098
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Spa Gardens
Brief description of site
The Pump Room Gardens is one of several public parks in Leamington Spa, linked by a riverside walk along the River Leam. These parks and gardens are known as the Spa Gardens. Surviving historic features include the footpaths and overall layout; bandstand; pedestrian bridge over the River Leam (York Bridge); Royal Pump Room and Baths (now a library, art gallery & museum); and Linden Walk.
Brief history of site
In 1808 the landowner Bertie Greatheed formed a partnership with Warwick businessmen to develop a new town on his land focused on a Pump Room, opened in 1814, alongside which the Pump Room Gardens were laid out. The Pump Room and Gardens were bought by the Local Board of Health in 1868, and soon after free access to the latter was granted.
Address: Parade, Leamington Spa, CV32 5AA
Locality: Leamington Spa
Warwickshire; Warwick; Royal Leamington
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP317656|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1808 to 1814
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2.2