Thompson's Park, (also known as Sir David's Fields and Cae Syr Dafydd), Cardiff, Wales
Record Id: 7072
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The south end of the park contains a modern brick-built kiosk, ornamental flower beds, a giant tree carving of a green man and a fountain with a plastic facsimile of a bronze statue known as 'Joyance'. To the north of this area there is a short, quite steep, wooded bank with a tiny valley feature or 'dell', at the bottom of which is a pond. Either side of the dell are stepped pathways leading to an extensive gently sloping grassed area, bordered by tree-lined paths. From the top of the slope there are extensive views towards the Vale of Glamorgan.
Brief history of site
In the late-19th century the land known as Sir David's Field was owned by Charles Thompson. He opened his gardens to the public in 1891 and in 1895 they were enlarged and laid out formally by William Golding.
In 1912 Mr Thompson handed over ownership of the park to Cardiff City Council. In order to protect the park from development Mr. Thompson also bought three additional strips of land in 1913, 1918 and 1919 and continued to manage and pay for the upkeep of the park until 1924, after which Cardiff City took over full control.
Address: Romilly Road, Cardiff, CF5 1FP
Cardiff; Canton; Canton
Historical County: Glamorgan
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||171||Grid Ref:||ST161771|
The park can be accessed from:
(1) Romilly Road. Cardiff Bus 61.
(2) Sir David's Avenue.
(3) Pencisely Road. Cardiff Buses 25, 33A/B & 62/62A. Stagecoach 122, Cardif Bus & Easyway Minibus 32/320/322
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1891 to 1919
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4