Sunray Gardens, (also known as Casina House and Casino House), Herne Hill, England
Record Id: 7066
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The north end of the park contains a children's play area and flower beds. South-west of this is a hard-standing multi-use games area which overlooks a large tree-lined pond.
The park was refurbished at a cost of £220,000 in 2001/2 and currently holds a Green Flag Award.
Brief history of site
The site is all that remains of the 16 acre grounds of Casina House built around 1797 for the wealthy lawyer Richard Shawe. The architect of the house was John Nash and the landscaped gardens were designed by Humphry Repton. The house was let for some time and was finally demolished in 1906.
In 1920 the site was leased by the Dulwich Estates to Camberwell Borough Council for housing and the area was developed as the Sunray Estate under the "homes fit for heroes" initiative.
Address: Sunray Avenue, Southwark, London, SE24 9PL
Locality: Herne Hill
Greater London; Southwark
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ327748|
The park is 300m north-north-east of North Dulwich Station.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park, open daily from 7.30 until sunset.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1797
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 1.6