Castle Bromwich Hall, Castle Bromwich, England
Record Id: 700
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Castle Bromwich Hall has a late-17th-century formal garden and park, covering in total about 19 hectares. The gardens, which are in the process of being restored in the formal style of 1680 to 1740, occupy about 4 hectares. Features include a walled garden, a formal vegetable garden and a holly maze.
Brief history of site
The present hall was begun in around 1599, and was surrounded by formal gardens. Substantial changes were made to the house and gardens from around 1685. The family moved to a different residence after 1762 and Castle Bromwich was rented out. The gardens were retained, and the family moved back in the late-19th century. In 1947 Viscount Newport gave restrictive covenant over the site to the National Trust, and in 1985 Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Trust was established to restore and protect the gardens.
Address: Castle Bromwich Hall, Chester Road, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, B36 9BT
Locality: Castle Bromwich
West Midlands; Solihull
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP142 897|
Off the A452/B4118, south of the M6 junction 5 in Castle Bromwich.
Opening contact details:
0121 749 4100
April to October - core weekday hours 11am - 3.30pm. Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays, 1.30 - 5.30. Check for variations, including limited winter hours.
Parking. Shop. Refreshments. WCs. Dogs on short leads only. Disabled access.
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1599
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 18