Castle Ashby, Northampton, England
Record Id: 699
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site includes formal gardens and a landscape park within an extensive estate. The original park was enclosed soon after 1066, and the present house was built in 1564. The park was landscaped from 1761 onwards by Capability Brown, retaining some 17th-century features within a serpentine park. A Victorian garden was constructed about 1860 by Matthew Digby Wyatt. There is also a terraced garden, and an Italian garden with parterres, topiary and urns. The gardens and close park cover about 80 hectares within an estate of more than 1000 hectares.
Brief history of site
Licence to crenelate was granted in 1306. A significant building campaign was undertaken at the site from 1574, and again after 1610. The park was improved by Lancelot Brown in 1761. The extensive formal gardens at Castle Ashby were laid out in the years following 1862 and several of the structures were designed by Matthew Digby Wyatt.
Address: Castle Ashby House, Castle Ashby, Northamptonshire, NN7 1LQ
Northamptonshire; South Northamptonshire; Castle Ashby
Historical County: Northamptonshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||152||Grid Ref:||SP864593|
5 miles east of Northampton, north of the A428.
Opening contact details:
Gardens open all year, daily from 10am. Close at 4pm in winter.
Tea rooms. WCs.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: After 1306
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 80