Cassiobury Park, Watford, England
Record Id: 696
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Cassiobury Park is a 20th-century public park with woodland, golf course and other leisure facilities, which occupies an area of about 77 hectares.
Brief history of site
The manor of Cassiobury was granted to Sir Richard Morrison (died 1556) in 1546, who probably laid out a deer park and began a new mansion, completed by his son Charles. The present park is all that remains of a landscape park which originated in the 16th century and was further developed during the 17th and 18th centuries. At its greatest extent it covered about 300 hectares.
Address: Cassiobury Park, Cassiobury Avenue, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 7LD
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TQ095968|
On the west side of Watford.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use. 01923 235946
Public park. Child friendly. Parking, refreshments and WCs. Miniature railway and football pitches.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1546
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 77