Danny Park, West Sussex, England
Record Id: 6953
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The house, which is of Elizabethan origin, is set in its landscape park and gardens. It is a significant and well-recorded park, with the majority of its features still extant. Features include a dovecote, lake, rose garden, kitchen garden, stables and a tulip tree which is around 150 years old. The apparent high points of the site's developments date from the early-18th century and again from the mid-19th century until World War 1. Although now in divided ownership, it has changed little since the map evidence dated 1666.
Brief history of site
The Park of Danny was enclosed by the last Sir Simon de Pierpoint in 1343. The current building was erected in 1593-5 by George Goring, Esq, replacing a hunting lodge and subsequently a house built in 1582. An estate map of 1666 shows the house, gates houses, gardens and usage in some detail, already disparked. At this time the owner was Peter Courthope who purchased the estate in 1652. His son in law, Henry Campion, altered the south front in the classical manner in 1728 and much extended the gardens. The Campions remained owners until the mid-20th century, again improving and developing the gardens.
Address: Hurstpierpoint, BN6 9BB
Locality: West Sussex
West Sussex; Mid Sussex; Hurstpierpoint
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ285149|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1343
Main period of development: 18th century