Dunbar's Close Garden, Edinburgh, Scotland
Record Id: 6938
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Dunbar's Close is a largely formal garden in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town. The site runs north from the Canongate, the main spine of the Old Town, down a slope towards Calton Road. The formal part of the garden is divided into three parterres, one of which includes seasonal planting. It is mainly a garden of green hedges, yew, box and bay. There is a large east-facing garden with old roses and irises, bordered by a long hedge of lavender. It is a secluded place, offering an area of calm off a very busy street.
Brief history of site
On the 1647 map of Edinburgh by Gordon of Rothiemay the site was a garden. Since then the site was built over but the buildings were cleared in the early-1970s and this garden created. The garden is designed to give an impression of what gardens in this area were like in the 17th century but it is not an exact historical reconstruction. It is, however, a very historic site. The west wall of the garden is a party wall of the graveyard of the Canongate Church, (dedicated 1691) and looking towards the garden on the east side is Panmure House where Adam Smith lived from 1772 until his death in 1790. Holyrood Palace is nearby in the grounds of which the Botanic Garden was first sited in 1670.
Address: 137 Canongate, Edinburgh , EH8 8BW
Edinburgh, City of
Historical County: Midlothian
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||66||Grid Ref:||NT264738|
The site is on the north side of the Canongate, adjacent to the Canongate Church.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily except Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1977
Main period of development: Late 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.4