Shepherd's Hill, (also known as Sheppard's Hill), Uckfield, England
Record Id: 6926
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Shepherd's Hill is a formal, compartmentalised garden laid out from 1926 around four sides of a contemporary house, both designed by the architect Sir Edward Maufe. Features include pools, terraces, avenues, and 18th-century privy and a brick-built summerhouse.
Brief history of site
The site at Shepherd's Hill was allotted to Sir Robert Fagg and John Fagg of Wiston in 1710. It is thought that Robert Fagg used an existing fire-damaged house on the site as his hunting box whilst planning a new mansion and stables. The stables had been built by 1740. In 1926, the property was purchased by the architect, Sir Edward Brantwood Maufe. Between 1926 and 1928 Maufe converted Fagg's original stable block and flanking outbuildings to a forecourt for a new country house.
Address: Pound Lane, Buxted, TN22 4PX
East Sussex; Wealden; Mayfield and Five
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ515222|
Form of site: compartment
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: 1926 to 1928
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.5