Buxlow Manor, (also known as Ghost House and Red House Farm), Saxmundham, England
Record Id: 6919
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Buxlow Manor is also known as Red House Farm or Ghost Hole (1826). It was recorded in the early-13th century as the property of John Cordebouef. The current red brick manor house, dating from about 1678, is of Elizabethan E-plan comprising two wings with sophisticatd Dutch style gables. The present owners bought the two hectare property in 1978 and redesigned the gardens which had been ploughed up and put down to grass. The gardens now comprise a large pond, pavilion, remains of an old pergola, Tudor wall, old dairy, greenhouse, workshop and a refurbished canal or possible moat. There are a substantial number of feature trees including an impressive Metasequoia Glyptostroboides. There are also a large number of interesting roses and shrubs. There is a kitchen garden, orchard, wilderness area, spring and sunken gardens. There is an interesting statue in a niche at the back of the house, thought by Pevsner to be of St. Agnes but now thought to be St. Margaret of Antioch or an East Anglian angel of 1470-1500.
Brief history of site
The 13th century owner was John Cordebouef who died in 1300. The estate was passed to the Bokyll family of Friston; Maud Bokyll married John Jenney in 1435 and the property passed to the Jenney family until about 1750. Edmund Jenney refurbished the manor in the Dutch style in 1678. The last Jenney sold the manor to Edward Vernon in 1745 and it was then held by the Vernons until 1818. The manor was then sold to John Ayton and occupied by a series of tenant farmers. The Hawdons bought the manor in 1922 and undertook extensive structural changes in 1936. Frank Hall inherited the house in 1972 and ploughed up the gardens and laid them to lawn and the house was used as a bed and breakfast. The current owners bought Buxlow Manor in 1978.
Address: The Green Knodishall, IP17 1TH
Suffolk; Suffolk Coastal; Knodishall; Saxmundham
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||156||Grid Ref:||TM410632|
Take A12 junction B1119 east from Saxmundham (A12 junction to Buxlow Manor 4.22km) direction Leiston, Rendham Road for ~1km turn right into Albion Street Cont 0.1km straight on to Station Approach for 0.03km then right to New Cut 0.1km then left into Chantry Rd 0.11km cont on B1119/Church Street 0.19km cont. on B1119 bear left into Church Hill 2.88km turn left 0.51km turn right 0.24km Buxlow Manor (Red Hs Farm) is situated on left hand side.
Opening contact details:
Please view websites for details on visiting. Access may be limited to guided tours and specific dates only.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site Style : informal
Site first created: Before 1300
Main period of development: Late 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2