Wyndham Memorial Park, Grantham, England
Record Id: 6870
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Wyndham is an early-20th-century park opened in 1924 as a World War 1 Memorial park that forms part of Grantham Riverside Walk by the River Witham. Features include the recreational field and playgrounds, paddling pool, bowling greens and tennis courts.
Brief history of site
In 1920 Dowager Lady Leconfield donated £1000 towards a memorial to perpetuate the memory of her son, Lieutenant the Honourable William Reginald Wyndham, 1st Life Guards killed in action November 1914, aged 38. Grantham Town Council elected to create the Wyndham World War 1 Memorial Park by changing the name of the town's Slate Mill Park and developing it as a memorial park. It was opened by Lady Leconfield in July 1924.
Address: Manthorpe Road, Grantham, NG31 9BB
Lincolnshire; South Kesteven
Historical County: Lincolnshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||128||Grid Ref:||SK916365|
From Grantham town centre take the A607 going north for Lincoln, Wyndham Park is on the right at the corner of Manthorpe Rd and Belton Lane, with the River Witham flowing through.
Opening contact details:
Car Parking (limited)
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1924
Main period of development: 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5