Bayham Old Abbey, (also known as Bayham Abbey Ruins), Tunbridge Wells, England
Record Id: 6832
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Bayham Abbey
Brief description of site
The abbey ruins consist of the substantial remains of the 13th to 15th-century church, the 14th-century gatehouse and the chapter house. The old abbey is now within a landscape park laid out by Humphry Repton in 1799 (see the record for Bayham Abbey, also known as Bayham Hall).
Brief history of site
Bayham Abbey was founded around 1200, the first buildings probably being completed by 1211. The abbey was suppressed in 1525 by Cardinal Wolsey and the estates leased by Henry VIII to Anthony Browne, Lord Montague.
Address: Bayham Abbey, Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 8BE
Locality: Tunbridge Wells
Kent; Tunbridge Wells; Lamberhurst
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||188||Grid Ref:||TQ650365|
Off the B2169, 1.75 miles west of Lamberhurst.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from April to September, between 11 am and 5 pm.
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: abbey
Site first created: After 1200
Main period of development: 13th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 368