Dale Park, Madehurst, Arundel, England
Record Id: 6828
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Dale Park was purchased in 1780 from a number of copyholds by Sir George Thomas who enclosed the park and planted 400 acres of woodland. The house was built between 1784 and 1788 to plans by Joseph Bonomi ARA and was deemed to be one of the most comfortable in the county. It is located in a fold of the Sussex Downs and together with the undulating parkland was situated and planted to achieve views to Chichester and the sea.
Brief history of site
The park and gardens are contemperaneous with the building of the house, as are the extensive kitchen gardens. The house is shown in a illustration by Samual Heironymous Grimm in 1791 with some landscaping and woodland together with fencing surrounding the parkland to the south of the house.
Address: Madehurst, Arundel, West Sussex
West Sussex; Arun; Madehurst
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU978097|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Site Style : Classical landscape
Site first created: 1780 to 1790
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 1022