Carclew, Truro, England
Record Id: 681
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The park and woodland at Carclew were landscaped in the 18th century. At its most extensive the site occupied around 145 hectares. The site is now in divided ownership, with a 19th and 20th century ornamental woodland, walled and water gardens of around 10 hectares.
Although not generally open to the public, the gardens are open on selected days in the spring.
Brief history of site
Samuel Kempe inherited the estate in 1677. He built a new house and planned extensive new formal gardens, but died before either could be completed. The house was enlarged after 1749. By the early-19th century there were extensive gardens and a large park. Sir Charles Lemon, a founder-member of the Royal Horticultural Society of Cornwall, developed the gardens in the early-19th century, planting new hybrid rhododendrons.
Address: Tregavethan, Perran-ar-Worthal, near Truro, TR3 7PB
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW787380|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1677
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 145