Beech Hurst, Haywards Heath, West Sussex , England
Record Id: 6767
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Beech Hurst is a recreational public park laid out in the grounds of a now demolished mid-Victorian house. Parts of the basic layout of the original gardens have been retained together with some of their features.
Brief history of site
While it is not known exactly when the house was built, its first owner was the Reverend Horatio Hickey and he and his family were in residence in the early-1860s. Under the ownership of William Johnston Yapp the garden was occasionally open to the public. Yapp gifted the house and gardens to the local council on his death in 1946. The grounds were then laid out as a public park, which was opened in around 1954.
Address: Butlers Green Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 4BB
Locality: Haywards Heath, West Sussex
West Sussex; Mid Sussex; Haywards Heath
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ 323238|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use. Please see:
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 5.5