Scorrier House, Redruth, England
Record Id: 6750
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
A 2 hectare garden was laid out in the early-19th century with 8 hectares of landscaped parkland along with extensive woodland. There is an important pinetum planted by William Lobb in the late-19th century in one of the 3 walled gardens.
Brief history of site
The early Scorrier House and gardens were built and planted in 1778 by John Williams. After a fire, the house was rebuilt by his son George in 1862, who also improved the grounds. The plant hunter William Lobb planted much of the Pinetum with noteable rarities between 1866 and 1892.
Address: Scorrier, Redruth, Cornwall, TR16 5AU
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||203||Grid Ref:||SW725437|
Opening contact details:
The site is open to the public once a year for charity. Pre-booked tours can be arranged between April and October.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1778 to 1892
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 10