Canons Park, (also known as Canons House and Canons), Harrow, Edgware, England
Record Id: 675
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
This is a public park originating in the early-18th century. The site now occupies about 50 hectares.
Brief history of site
The land which became Canons Park belonged, until the Dissolution, to the Priory of St Batholomew the Great. In 1543 there was a manor house leased by Hugh Losse. In 1709 the land was purchased by James Brydges, first Duke of Chandos. His palace was built between 1713 and about 1720 by James Gibbs. During the same period the grounds were laid out by Alexander Blackwell. Charles E Mallows was commissioned after 1905 to carry out extensive alterations to the house and to design formal gardens around it. The site was developed as a public park after World War 2.
Address: Canon's Park, Harrow, HA8 6QT
Locality: Harrow, Edgware
Greater London; Harrow
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ183912|
Tube: Canons Park (Jubilee). Bus: 79, 186, 340
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1713 to 1720
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 50