Trist House, (also known as Veryan Vicarage), Truro, England
Record Id: 6748
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief history of site
The current layout dates mainly from 1834 with possibly some planting dates from the late 18th century. John Trist, vicar of Veryan from 1773-81 'beautified glebe'; Jeremiah Trist, vicar from 1782-1829 'landscaped the glebe', and Samuel Trist, vicar from 1830-69 spent £1,000 in 1835 on 'the disposition and ornament of the grounds' (by way of comparison, the new vicarage cost him £3,000).
Jeremiah Trist also built the famous round houses of Veryan and built and landscaped Behan Parc in 1810.
Address: Trist House, Veryan, Truro, TR2 5QA
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW918393|
Veryan is four miles south of Tregony, off the A3078 from Tregony to St Mawes. Trist House is close to the centre of the village, just past the Roseland Stores on the road to Portloe on the right hand side.
Opening contact details:
For opening details see http://trystproductions.org.uk/Mum/index.html
Cream teas, disabled access to most parts of the garden, plants for sale
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: detached house
Site first created: Before 1834
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 1.6