Linda Vista Gardens, Abergavenny, Wales
Record Id: 6731
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Linda Vista Gardens is a well-preserved and richly-planted urban public park with origins as a private garden. This is demonstrated in the intricate layout of the formal part of the garden, and in the exceptional quality and variety of the planting, which includes unusual specimen trees and shrubs.
Brief history of site
The garden was the private garden of Linda Vista villa which was built in 1875. It changed ownership in 1901, and again in 1925 when it was acquired by the Whitehead family who also owned a steelworks at Ebbw Vale. In 1957 they sold the garden to the Abergavenny Corporation for use as a public park. After this, the District Council added further land to the west and south (Castle Meadows) which extended the garden.
Address: Linda Vista Gardens, Abergavenny, Gwent, NP7 5DL
Historical County: Monmouthshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||161||Grid Ref:||SO 295141|
The park is just ouside the medieval town wall and approached off Tudor Street.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1875
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3