Cannon Hall, Barnsley, England
Record Id: 673
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Cannon Hall has an associated landscape park and pleasure grounds. Features include stone boundary walls, a fishpond, woodlands and cast iron fencing.
Brief history of site
Richard Woods and Thomas Peach created the site for John Spencer between 1760 and 1765. Barnsley Council purchased the site in the early 1950s and the hall first opened as a museum in 1957.
Address: Cannon Hall Museum, Bark House Lane, Cawthorne, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S75 4AT
South Yorkshire; Barnsley; Cawthorne
Historical County: West Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||110||Grid Ref:||SE272083|
Opening contact details:
The park and gardens are open throughout the year. The museum is open daily (except Mondays) between April and October, weekends only in the winter season.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: museum
Site first created: 1760 to 1765
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 100