Shavington Hall, Shavington, Shropshire, England
Record Id: 6641
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Shavington Hall, the finest country house of its period in the county, features an extensive landscaped park.
Brief history of site
There was a park at Shavington as early as 1577. The current house was built in 1685 for the sixth Viscount Kilmorey and the landscape park was extensive by 1752. There were further changes to the park in the 19th century, when both William Emes and Humphrey Repton produced plans for the grounds, but it is unclear whether either of these were carried out. Considerable additions were also made to the house in 1822 and 1903. The park was expanded to around 1500 acres by 1851, but it had fallen into a dilapidated 'wilderness' by the 1890s.
Address: Shavington Hall, Shavington, Shropshire, TF9 3TB
Locality: Shavington, Shropshire
Historical County: Shropshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ636388|
Form of site: landscape park
Context or principal building: country house
Site first created: Before 1577
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 607