Grassington Hall, Wharfedale, England
Record Id: 6617
The late-13th-century hall block was probably the work of Robert de Plumpton. It was owned in the late-16th century by George Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland, who sold it in 1604 to its tenant, George Lister, who made major alterations. In 1634 George Lister sold Grassington Hall to the Topham family, who lived there for much of the rest of the 17th century. In the 19th century, following a period of neglect, it was drastically refurbished by the Duke of Devonshire's estate for use by his lead agent as dwelling and offices. After a further period of decline it was restored by the present owner.
1981: The present owner bought the property, which had been in decline.
On the north wall of the kitchen garden is a modern temple-shaped summer house, possibly on the site of a greenhouse.
Feature created: 1870
The present entrance drive to the hall, made about 1870, is from the road which leads to Conistone.
The fine wrought iron single span gate is hung between ball-topped stone piers.
There are some fine chestnuts and sycamores.
Feature created: After 1981
The area around the house was laid out as a terrace by the present owner, who bought the property in 1981.
Feature created: Before 1870
The walled kitchen garden, which lies to the north-east of the house, is shown on the 1870 and 1909 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps. It has since been reduced in size and is now planted in a formal manner with two lines of trees pollarded into lollipop shapes.