Grassington Hall, Wharfedale, England
Record Id: 6617
The present entrance drive to the hall, made about 1870, is from the road which leads to Conistone. The fine wrought iron single span gate is hung between ball-topped stone piers and beside it is a separate pedestrian gate set in the low boundary wall. The present owner has a map dating from around 1870, showing the garden after the 19th-century changes. Much of the layout shown on the map still survives. The boundary of the property and the drive were lined with trees, many of which remain, including on the north and west some fine chestnuts and sycamores.
The area around the house was laid out as a terrace by the present owner, who bought the property in 1981. The walled kitchen garden, which lies to the north-east of the house, is shown on the 1870 and 1909 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps. It has since been reduced in size and is now planted in a formal manner with two lines of trees pollarded into lollipop shapes. On the north wall of the kitchen garden is a modern temple-shaped summer house, possibly on the site of a greenhouse. The principal entrance to this garden from the south is through an iron gate set into a new wall. The west wall of the kitchen garden has two doors, both leading into a flower garden. Beyond this garden is a curving stone path below the northern boundary wall. The path leads to a modern gazebo and steps back to the main part of the garden, which is laid out to grass.
The north and west sides of the garden are planted with shrubs and mature trees. To the east of the house is a modern greenhouse and further garden area. The original entrance to the property was through an arched doorway, now reduced in size, in the south-east boundary wall. This leads to a lane which runs alongside the southern boundary wall into the Market Place to the east from the Conistone road in the west.
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II* Reference 8/37
Hall Created 1250 to 1299
The oldest parts of the hall date from the late-13th century, but it was radically altered in the 17th and 19th centuries.
Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II*