Grassington Hall, Wharfedale, England
Record Id: 6617
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Grassington Hall is reputedly the oldest inhabited house in the Dales, with parts of the building dating from the 13th century. It was refurbished during the 19th century, and many of the present garden features date from this time. Features include a tree-lined entrance drive, walled kitchen garden and a modern terrace.
Brief history of site
The late-13th-century hall block was probably the work of Robert de Plumpton. In the 19th century, following a period of neglect, the site was drastically refurbished by the Duke of Devonshire's estate. After a further period of decline it was restored by the present owner.
Address: Garrs End Lane, Grassington, BD23 5BB
North Yorkshire; Craven; Grassington
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||98||Grid Ref:||SE001643|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1604
Main period of development: Mid 19th century