Peplow Hall, Peplow, England
Record Id: 6601
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Peplow Hall is a large 18th-century house with associated gardens. Its grounds extend east of the house down to the river Tern, and west to the main gates. They are of wrought iron and 18th century, and by Jones of Wrexham.
The Chapel of Epiphany was designed by Norman Shaw in 1878, and has the low timber and brick walls and steep, tall roof typical of his style, topped by an open timber bellcote.
Brief history of site
Peplow Hall was once the home of the Victorian philanthropist Francis Stanier. The Hall was built as a six by seven bay two-storey building in 1725 and considerably enlarged later. South of the grounds was a small park, present by 1827.
Address: Peplow Hall, Peplow, North Shropshire., TF9 3JR
Shropshire; Stoke upon Tern
Historical County: Shropshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ630240|
Reached from Hodnet on the A442 to Telford.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Site first created: 1725
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains