Gheluvelt Park, Worcester, England
Record Id: 6526
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Gheluvelt Park was opened in 1922. Its entrance is marked by a triumphal arch. There is a bandstand in a lake. A row of houses along its northern edge was built in 1919 as sheltered housing for disabled servicemen.
Brief history of site
The site of the park was taken over from Barbourne College, which itself occupied the former park of Barbourne House. The name of the park commemorates the action of the second battalion of the Worcester Regiment at Gheluvelt, Belgium in October 1914. The row of houses was built in 1919. The park was opened to the public in 1922 by Field Marshal Sir John French, Earl of Ypres.
Address: Barbourne Road, Worcester, WR3 7LB
Historical County: Worcestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||150||Grid Ref:||SO843565|
In Worcester city centre.
Opening contact details:
The park is open daily.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1919 to 1922
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.92