Caerhays Castle, (also known as St. Michael Caerhays), St Austell, England
Record Id: 647
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Caerhays Castle has late-19th-century and early-20th-century garden of around 20 hectares, surrounded by a wooded parkland of about 100 hectares. This is set within a larger agricultural estate of around 1400 hectares.
Brief history of site
John Trevanion, who inherited the estate in 1703, improved an existing house and developed gardens, thus creating 'a pleasant romantic seat'. John Bettesworth Trevanion commissioned John Nash to build a new house in 1807. John Charles inherited the estate in about 1880, and in about 1885 he began the woodland garden for which Caerhays has been noted in the 20th century.
Address: The Estate Office, Caerhays Castle, Gorran, St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 6LY
Locality: St Austell
Cornwall; St. Goran
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW971416|
The site is on the south coast off the B3267, 12 kilometres (approximately 5 miles) south-west of St. Austell.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily in March, April and May. Please see:
Pre-arranged tours can be booked in June and September.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: castle
Plant type/environment: woodland garden
Site first created: Before 1703
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 20