Hyde Park, Greater Manchester, Tameside, Greater Manchester, England
Record Id: 6415
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Hyde Park had a house and grounds, but is now a public park to the east of Park Road. There were open fields to the southern boundary, with Clarendon Road beyond. There is a railway along the north-eastern boundary, and a housing development off Lodge Lane to the north-west. The lodge is on Park Road.
The site was originally part of the Newton Lodge estate, which was purchased by James Ashton in around 1620. The house is roughly in the centre of the site. There is a pleasure ground, with the site sloping down to a stream running through woods along the southern boundary. The site remains extant, and the path system has been greatly extended.
Brief history of site
The site was offered to the Borough of Hyde by Eveline Mary and Amy Elizabeth Ashton, daughters of Charles James Ashton, in 1902. It was opened as a public park on 21 May 1904. Features include a tennis court and bowling green. A new art gallery replaced Newton Lodge in 1939. This was built with a donation of £6,000 given by Sir John Bayley.
Address: Lodge Lane, Newton, SK14 2JZ
Locality: Tameside, Greater Manchester
Greater Manchester; Tameside; Hyde Newton
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ950956|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see:
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1902 to 1904
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 10