Harrow Park, (also known as Flambards, Flamberts, Harrow Villa and The Park), Harrow, England
Record Id: 6373
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
A small 18th century landscape park worked on by Lancelot Brown between 1768 and 1771. The site has now been reduced to 15 hectares, and is used by Harrow School as a sports facility and golf course. Mature oaks and a lake on the golf course appear to date from Brown's landscaping, and there are yews, deodars and Wellingtonia near the house.
Brief history of site
Flambards or Flamberts was probably built in the C14th and by 1664 was the largest house in the village of Harrow on the Hill. The estate was purchased in 1767 by Francis Herne for whom Capability Brown designed a landscape park, later known as Harrow Park. From 1805-23 the estate was the home of John Rushout, 2nd Baron Northwick who also improved the grounds. A governor of Harrow School, he allowed the boys to use the grounds for recreation. In 1831 part of the estate including a newly built house and Harrow Park was purchased by Revd Phelps, a master at Harrow, for use by the school. The freehold was taken over by the Harrow Park Trust in 1885 and the park was developed for school uses. It was later largely converted as a golf course with a small part as a nature reserve.
Address: Harrow Park, Harrow, London, HA1 3NE
Greater London; Harrow
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ154871|
Nearest tube station - Harrow-on-the-Hill.
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1767
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 15