Burton Park, Petworth, England
Record Id: 628
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site has pleasure gardens, parkland and formal gardens of 6 hectares laid out in 1738 and subsequently altered in the 1920s and 1930s. The parkland originates from the 13th century and was landscaped in the 18th and 19th century.
Brief history of site
Lancelot Brown’s account book from Drummond’s Bank records a payment of £200.00.00 in July 1758 from Richard Biddulph, who was the owner of Burton Park. Peter Willis attributed this to relate to Burton Park. (See John Phibbs, ‘A List of Landscapes Attributed to Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown’, Garden History, 41:2 (2103) p. 249).
Address: Duncton High Street, GU28 0LS
West Sussex; Chichester; Barlavington
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU968174|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Site first created: After 1200
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 106