Burton Constable, Sproatley, East Yorkshire, England
Record Id: 626
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Burton Constable has a landscape park, woodland and gardens associated with a country house.
Brief history of site
There are records of a park in the 14th century. By 1578 the park had been enlarged and at about that time the Constables made it their principal seat. William Constable, who inherited in 1747, was a noted plant collector who assembled an extensive botanical collection at Burton Constable. Lancelot Brown created the park between 1767 and 1782. A deer park had existed at the site from 1517. Further changes were made in the early and mid-19th century. In 1999 a programme of restoration began with help from the DEFRA Countryside Stewardship scheme.
Address: Burton Constable, Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire, HU11 4LN
Locality: Sproatley, East Yorkshire
East Riding of Yorkshire; Burton Constable
Historical County: East Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||107||Grid Ref:||TA 190 366|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: museum
Site first created: 1300 to 1399
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 300