Peel Park, Salford, Salford, Greater Manchester, England
Record Id: 6250
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
A library and museum adjoins the site to the south and the River Irwell runs along the eastern boundary. Over the river is a suspension bridge linking the park to the densely developed areas of housing to the east. The original design, now simplified, included an axial walk and a series of intersecting boundary walks.
Statues included one of Queen Victoria in white Sicilian marble, unveiled by Prince Albert in 1857, and a similar one of the Prince Consort himself erected in 1874. On the eastern terrace there are bronze statues of Sir Robert Peel (1852) and Joseph Brotherton (1858). There is also a statue of Richard Cobden in Campanella marble (1867). All these statues are by Matthew Noble. On the same terrace there is a sculptured group representing Royalty, the middle classes and the industrialists together with figures of a shoeblack and a boy chimney sweep.
Brief history of site
Peel Park is a public park developed on the site of Lark Hull, formerly part of the Ackers family estate. The site was sold to the Parks Committee for £5,000, less £500 as his subscription to the parks fund by Mr Garnett, who had purchased the estate in 1826. The government provided a grant towards the cost of purchasing the land and creating the park and Sir Robert Peel subscribed £1,000. The park was opened on August 22, 1846 and was named after the Prime Minister. Twenty five acres of meadowland were given by Mr J P Fitzgerald in 1869 and a further twenty five by David Lewis' Trustees in 1896. Further additions totalling thirty two acres were made between 1900 and 1912, bringing the total acreage up to about 100 acres.
Address: The Crescent, Salford, M7 1PN
Locality: Salford, Greater Manchester
Greater Manchester; Salford
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ822991|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see:
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1846
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 40