Lasborough Park, Tetbury, England
Record Id: 6214
The manor of Lasborough has been in existence since at least the 11th century, with the manor house recorded from 1319. The manor house is now known as Lasborough Farm, and is situated at the north end of the land holding. The deer park and surrounding woodlands were originally laid out for this house, which was made into a farm during the 17th century. The manor was bought by Thomas Estcourt in 1598 and stayed in the family until sold in 1826.
The current building known as Lasborough House (or Lasborough Park) was built for Edmund Estcourt by James Wyatt in about 1794 and is situated centrally within the park on the opposite side of the valley. The parkland was developed with further planting to the tree belts and the planting of the parkland trees in the 18th-century English Landscape style at the time of the building of the house. At this time the pleasure grounds to the south-west of the house were also laid out. The Holford family lived at Lasborough during the building of Westonbirt House, and it remained in their ownership from 1844 to 1927. It is likely that further replanting was undertaken at this period. Some deforestation was carried out during 1950s when the site was in the ownership of a timber company.
People associated with this site
Architect: James Wyatt (born 1747 died 1813)
Terraces and steps in a formal walled garden at Lasborough Farm.