Bulstrode Park, Gerrards Cross, England
Record Id: 617
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site originated in the medieval period, and was developed through the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. It is now in divided ownership, with much of the outer estate returned to agriculture. The gardens and woodland around the house now cover about 15 hectares.
Brief history of site
A park has existed at Bulstrode since the early Middle Ages, when its creation is said to have involved the diversion of a Roman road. In 1676 the estate was acquired by Judge George Jeffreys who rebuilt the house in about 1676-1685 as an imposing red-brick building. In 1706 the estate was bought by William Bentinck, first Earl of Portland, who completed the wings of Jeffreys' house, and laid out surrounding formal gardens. The house was re-modelled in the 1740s and again in 1806-9. The second Duchess of Portland lived at Bulstrode from 1734 until her death in 1785, developing renowned gardens and introducing new plants collected for her from all over the world.
Address: Bulstrode Park, Oxford Road, Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, SL9 8SZ
Locality: Gerrards Cross
Buckinghamshire; South Bucks; Gerrards Cross
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SU987883|
North-west of Gerrards Cross, north of the M40.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: religious house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: Before 1676
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 140