Buckingham Palace Gardens, Westminster, England
Record Id: 613
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Buckingham Palace has Royal gardens, lake and woodland, covering about 16 hectares. The gardens originated in the 1640s, were re-designed in the late-18th century, and have been further developed in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Brief history of site
In 1608-9 the ground north of the present Buckingham Palace was planted with mulberry trees. In 1640, the interest in the Mulberry Garden was sold to Lord Goring who owned neighbouring Goring House. Following a disastrous fire in about 1674, Arlington rebuilt Goring House, renaming it Arlington House. The Duke of Buckingham bought the site after 1685, and rebuilt the by then ruinous Arlington House and enlarged the site. He located his new house, subsequently renamed Buckingham House, on the main axis of St James's Park. He employed Henry Wise, master gardener to Queen Anne, to make improvements to the gardens and Wise laid out a formal garden largely to the east of the new house. George IV rebuilt the house from 1826, renaming it Buckingham Palace, and at the same time remodelled the garden.
Address: Buckingham Palace, London, SW1A 1AA
Greater London; Westminster
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ289795|
Form of site: landscape garden
Purpose of site: pleasure ground
Context or principal building: palace
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: Before 1640
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 16