Aldermaston Court, (also known as Aldermaston Manor), Berkshire, England
Record Id: 61
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Aldermaston Court has the remnants of mid- and late-19th century gardens within medieval parkland. At its most extensive the garden covered about 250 hectares, but is now reduced to 55 hectares. The garden features topiary and shrubs including rhododendrons within a wooded landscape park. The site has been considerably changed by extensive mid- and later-20th century building.
Brief history of site
Aldermaston Park was first mentioned in 1299, continuing in use as a deer park into the 17th century (Victoria County History 1923). In 1636 Sir Humphrey Forster rebuilt Aldermaston manor house. In 1843 the house was largely burnt out. The house was re-built to the south of the old one after 1849. It is now a hotel and conference centre.
Address: Aldermaston Manor, Aldermaston Park, Church Road, Aldermaston, Berkshire, RG7 4HX
West Berkshire; Aldermaston
Historical County: Berkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||174||Grid Ref:||SU595648|
Off the A339 west of Reading
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site Style : English landscape garden
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 55