Estcourt Park, Shipton Moyne, England
Record Id: 5882
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Estcourt Park, an estate owned by the Escourt family from the 14th century to 1996, dates in its present form from the late-18th century and the first half of the 19th century. The park and pleasure grounds were associated with a new house built in about 1779 and now demolished.
Brief history of site
In the early-16th century, Thomas Estcourt created a park. A large manor house was built in the mid-16th century by Edmund Estcourt. An engraving of 1712 shows the house standing in formal gardens and orchards set in a park crossed by avenues. After 1776, the estate was consolidated and a new park, with a lake and ornamented with fir trees, was laid out within the former field system. The house was modernised in the late-1820s and early-1830s.
Address: Escourt Estate, Escourt, Tetbury, Gloucestershire, GL8 8XF
Locality: Shipton Moyne
Gloucestershire; Cotswold; Shipton Moyne
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||163||Grid Ref:||ST897910|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1500
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 87