Stamford Park, Altrincham, Greater Manchester, England
Record Id: 5831
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stamford Park is a public park with four main access points. There is an oval central area with a path system linking the pavilions, club house and ponds. The layout has formal and informal elements, including serpentine walks.
Brief history of site
The 7th Earl of Stamford donated land for the park in 1878 and it was opened in 1880. The network of sinuous paths and the sports pitches were intended to encourage the people of Altrincham to take exercise. This reflected a growing trend to make provision for sports facilities in public parks.
Address: Stamford Park Road, Altrincham, Trafford, WA15 9ER
Locality: Greater Manchester
Greater Manchester; Trafford; Altrincham
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ773875|
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1878 to 1880
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6.5